PVC blades work great for small wind turbines. Three years have past, the PVC blades on the wind turbine are working just fine, and do well in high winds. A few hours after this video footage was taken, at the testing facility (the cabin), was hit with a massive wind storm. Lot’s of trees were knocked over and roots pulled from the earth. The wind turbine tower didn’t fall over and the turbine provided lots of power to the deep cycle batteries.
Aces High Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
budget wind turbine, building a wind turbine, cheap wind turbine, diy, diy wind turbine, Do It Yourself (Hobby), Energy, homemade, power, pvc blades, solar, storm, wind, wind energy, Wind Power (Industry), wind turbine, Wind Turbine (Industry)
It’s been almost a half a year since the last vertical axis wind turbine project and thought it was necessary for an update.
This particular project started with another gleaned treasure from the local dump: a Breadman Automatic Bread Maker TR-444. A bread making machine or bread maker is a home appliance for baking bread. The manufacturer label on the back, said it was rated for 600 watts.
Hmm! Probably some good parts: motor, heater coil, gears, copper wire for VAWT coils. I couldn’t wait to get inside and start harvesting parts.
Took it home, opened up the underside and discovered a cool gear ratio system with a rubber pulley and timing gear (see pic). After removing the housing, electronics, bread pan, heater element and controls, it gave me an idea to use the pulley/timing gear in a small VAWT. If I could somehow attach the wind turbine to the existing bread pan shaft and then to a cordless drill generator, it could produce some decent electricity? That will be in the next video.
This is the third version of the vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) made from cedar siding lumber. It’s very close to the Lenz style of VAWTs. These type of wind turbines are fun to build. Lots of room for improvements and coming up with new ideas.
– the hubs with bearings, came from my portable generator. Had handy grease spout that could easily be greased with a grease gun
– The struts for the scoop (Lenz style) of blades were extended to clear the garage door style generator
– Used boiled linseed oil to seal the wood parts. The stain lasts forever and works great against the sun
– Did a quick test on top of our house, but, nothing really happened. (The motor garage door motor was not hooked up) The wind is quite poor in our residential area. Plus, without the aid of mirrors or a surveillance system, it’s difficult to see it spin when it’s right on top of your house.
– The VAWT was designed to be mounted on top of a tree a off-the-grid cabin
– At the moment, I’ve got the garage door motor on it, but, it doesn’t turn well with the belt-pulley system. The wind really needs to be blowing. I thinking about going the magnet and coil route.
– Had to take it down after 5 days. The neighbours started to ask questions and I didn’t want the bylaw officer give me a ticket.
Aces High and Cut and Run by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a CC Attribution 3.0.