Free xml sitemap generator

Buildings and Renovations,Wildlife

How to Make a Bat House from Scrap Wood- Part 1

24 Sep , 2015   Video

This video will show you how to construct a bat house from lumber and plywood scraps.
This is a fairly easy project and can be constructed with only a few tools. Most of the materials can be found free from a lumber yard or left over from a home renovation project. (Plans to come)
Bats are a critical part of our ecosystems. A bat house is a good way to increase the bat population and to control nocturnal insects.
I would like to thank Margaret from www.BCbats.ca for her suggestions on plans and where to mount the bat house.

Bat-house-painted

bat-house-material-break-down

, , , , , , , , , ,

Power generation,Wind Turbine Projects

Part 2 – I Broke My Wind Turbine Tower

12 May , 2014  

Broke_the_WT_Tower

This is what happens when you tinker with something that has worked fine for 3 years. The small wind turbine purpose was to trickle charge the deep cycle batteries.
Background: A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to make the existing 20 foot tall tower an extra 20′ taller (40′ in total) and catch more clean, undisturbed wind. Found a 3 sections of 1″ and 1-1/4″ aluminum pipes from a pool cleaner/net. Inserted to small pipe inside the larger and overlapped the joints to form a solid pipe. The 40′ (plus a few more feet) 10 gauge, 2 wire SOW cable was inserted inside.
For the day It was erected. It was a tad windy, but I wanted to get the turbine up, wired and charging the deep cycle batteries.
Everything was going as planned until my helper mentioned the pole just bent like a “V” . Turned around and the pole was up in the air but the turbine was on the ground. What a bummer!
Well, the good news was the small turbine wasn’t injured and the tower could be fixed.

Thanks for watching!

 

, , , , , , , , , , ,

Wind Turbine Projects

Part 1 of the Breadmaker VAWT Project – Pulley & Shaft

19 Feb , 2014  

Breadman Bread Maker TR-444

Breadman Bread Maker TR-444

It’s been almost a half a year since the last vertical axis wind turbine project and thought it was necessary for an update.
This particular project started with another gleaned treasure from the local dump: a Breadman Automatic Bread Maker TR-444. A bread making machine or bread maker is a home appliance for baking bread. The manufacturer label on the back, said it was rated for 600 watts.

Timing-Gear

Timing-Gear

Coil

Heater element for baking bread

rubber-feet

Insulated rubber feet

Hmm! Probably some good parts: motor, heater coil, gears, copper wire for VAWT coils. I couldn’t wait to get inside and start harvesting parts.

Took it home, opened up the underside and discovered a cool gear ratio system with a rubber pulley and timing gear (see pic). After removing the housing, electronics, bread pan, heater element and controls, it gave me an idea to use the pulley/timing gear in a small VAWT. If I could somehow attach the wind turbine to the existing bread pan shaft and then to a cordless drill generator, it could produce some decent electricity? That will be in the next video.

Check out the Cedar Workshop Blog for updates, ideas and more pictures!

Enjoy!

, , , , , , ,

Power generation,Wind Turbine Projects

Garage Door Motor Converted to Produce Electricity

22 Feb , 2013  

IMG_4375 IMG_4355 Due to chilly weather, there’s been a gap since the last video. So, I decided to answer a viewers question and do a step-by-step about converting a regular AC motor to a generator. The motor in this video was from a 1/3 HP garage door opener. Someone¬†left it next to a municipal garbage can, expecting the city to dispose of it. It peaked my curiosity, so I took it home and see what’s inside. Thought maybe I could use some parts for wind turbine project. Inside was a treasure trove of parts, gears, light bulb mount, wires, relays, lugs and a worn out plastic worm drive, which was totally shredded.

For the conversion, the motor was opened up via three bolts and removed the existing stator from the half-inch shaft. Made a new two-inch stator out of wood. Four half-inch holes were drilled into the shaft and the N42 rare earth magnets where inserted. Used over the shelf epoxy to seal the magnets. Must be placed North, South, North, South, etc.
In Part 2- the stator will be Install, reassemble and tested on a drill press at the lowest setting (752 rpm).

 

 

 

Music credit:
Aces High Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)

Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

, , , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: