Have not been to the cabin for a few weeks. There have been too many household projects that need to get done first. But, in between the daily chores, I’ve been messing around with gears made from plywood. Also wanted to incorporate more woodworking into the projects.
The plan for this project was to mount a large gear onto a wind turbine and then have a smaller gear attached to a DC motor. Hopefully, the wind turbine has enough torque to generate some decent power.
Might or might not work, but it’s fun to try anyway.
Due to chilly weather, there’s been a gap since the last video. So, I decided to answer a viewers question and do a step-by-step about converting a regular AC motor to a generator. The motor in this video was from a 1/3 HP garage door opener. Someone left it next to a municipal garbage can, expecting the city to dispose of it. It peaked my curiosity, so I took it home and see what’s inside. Thought maybe I could use some parts for wind turbine project. Inside was a treasure trove of parts, gears, light bulb mount, wires, relays, lugs and a worn out plastic worm drive, which was totally shredded.
For the conversion, the motor was opened up via three bolts and removed the existing stator from the half-inch shaft. Made a new two-inch stator out of wood. Four half-inch holes were drilled into the shaft and the N42 rare earth magnets where inserted. Used over the shelf epoxy to seal the magnets. Must be placed North, South, North, South, etc.
In Part 2- the stator will be Install, reassemble and tested on a drill press at the lowest setting (752 rpm).
Aces High Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0