Spent a few days up at the cabin messing around with projects. The weather was quite mild and it made it easier to get outside projects finished. One of them was to go up on the roof and remove snow and fix a leak. I needed an extension ladder to get on the roof safely. Had a spare 30-foot extension ladder at home, so it was brought up to the cabin. The drive up was quite loud with the wind whistling over the ladder on top of the car. (Must of scared away all the deer in the area!)
Since the main roads were covered with “Black Ice” (that’s ice that can’t be distinguished between the road or water) the drive took a lot longer and I arrived late at night. My family and I decided to walk in and then come back the next day to haul the reminder of supplies in. It’s not always easy to get all your materials onsite. In the winter, everything has to be transported in using a snowmobile and a cargo sled. The object is to make as few trips as possible.
I had to transport a large container of firewood, flooring, lumber and an extension ladder all at the same time. With a bad snow storm approaching, I didn’t have a lot time, so I quickly tied everything on and hoped that it didn’t fall off or get stuck in the forest.
The trail I took started through a driveway that was a solid piece of ice. It was a little tricky to drive through, the cargo sled would move left or right depending on the terrain. Once I got to the trail, it was covered with four feet of snow, but packed down. I had to navigate through the trees and over stumps. A little challenging at times, because you don’t want to catch a ski on a branch or fall into the soft snow near the base of a tree. Managed to hit only one tree with the end of the ladder. It happened on a tight turn and the ladder was sticking out. The bump actually help straighten out the ladder on top of the load.
After few minutes of careful navigation, the snowmobile and cargo made it to the front door. But due to a pile of snow, all the weight slid to one side and the load toppled over. Well, on the bright side, nothing was damaged and I made it to the front door.
This is what happens when you tinker with something that has worked fine for 3 years. The small wind turbine purpose was to trickle charge the deep cycle batteries.
Background: A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to make the existing 20 foot tall tower an extra 20′ taller (40′ in total) and catch more clean, undisturbed wind. Found a 3 sections of 1″ and 1-1/4″ aluminum pipes from a pool cleaner/net. Inserted to small pipe inside the larger and overlapped the joints to form a solid pipe. The 40′ (plus a few more feet) 10 gauge, 2 wire SOW cable was inserted inside.
For the day It was erected. It was a tad windy, but I wanted to get the turbine up, wired and charging the deep cycle batteries.
Everything was going as planned until my helper mentioned the pole just bent like a “V” . Turned around and the pole was up in the air but the turbine was on the ground. What a bummer!
Well, the good news was the small turbine wasn’t injured and the tower could be fixed.
Thanks for watching!