The Epic DIY Deck Project is almost finished. Had to finish off the deck railing, add a few more deck boards, stairs and finishing touches. Had the chance to head out to the cabin on the Labour Day Long Weekend. The focus was to get the railing completed and get some close-ups on some of the steps. Hopefully the video has answered any of my viewer questions. If not, feel free to give me a shout.
Also, I wanted to mention that the entire deck rail project, except for the handrail, didn’t cost me a dime. It was all scavenged from a massive back yard play fort I dismantled 3 years ago. Aside from the tear down time, space it took for storage, I saved over $441.00!
Here’s the breakdown:
(12) 2″ x 4″x 6′ Western Red Cedar Drilled Rail $9.66 each Total $117.00 (Free)
(6) Veranda Horizontal Rail Kit $54.00 each Total $324 (Free)
(7) 4″ x 4″ x 50″ Rail Post $8.00 each Total $56.00 (Free)
(2) 2 x 6 x 18′ Cedar top rail (Utility grade) $9.00 each Total $18.00 (Paid)
(50) 3″ Deck screws $8.00 (Paid)
(16) 3/8″ x 7″ Hot dipped Galvanized bolts Total $14.00 (Paid)
Note: I’m encountering problems with the exposure settings on the HD camcorder. Sorry, if some of video looks washed out.
On July 11th weekend, it was another work weekend at the Cedar Workshop test facility. The family and myself headed back up to the cabin with a load of deck materials. The goal was to patch up a rodent hole, that was behind the old propane tank and finish off the deck joists.
On Saturday, progress started out slow, it was only 10:00am and the temperature outside was 27*C/80*F. It made it difficult take measurements with the sun in your face and climb over the deck joists. Lucky for me, the lake was a 100′ away and I’d go jump in the lake for a few minutes.
The hole in the wall was be used by Mr. Weasel and Ms Squirrel. It was to gain access under the cabin. I ended up using a chunk of wood to plug the hole and then cover the wall around it with thin aluminum sheets. It should prevent the rodents from chewing another hole through the wall. It was much easier to work on the fixing the wall when the propane tank was moved and the joists were not in place.
After the hole was patched up, the joists could be hung off the ledger board and secured in place with joist hangers. I’m so glad I had plenty of joist hangers and angle brackets stockpiled. It’s a really piece of mind knowing the deck will be safe.
Next on the list was lag the ledger board into the 12″ x 12″ cedar foundation logs. The old Black and Decker corded drill could not drive the 4″ x 1/2″ lag bolts more than an inch before it died. It just didn’t have the torque. A new drill would be awesome, but, it would add to the overall cost of the deck. So I had to do the rest by hand.
The last thing to do was scarf in a 2″ x 10″ board into the existing beam. It was one of ends of the overlapping 2 x 10’s that was warped. It was cut out and replaced. What I found interesting was the 20 year old 2 x 10 x 10 footers, found under the cabin was easily 1/4″ to 3/8″ wide than the newer 2 x 10s. See the picture to the right for the shim added.
For the next weekend, the plan is finish off blocking, add an access hole to a section of the deck and start the 2″ x 6″ Western Red Cedar deck boards.
If you’re looking for more recent updates, check out the Facebook page. I normally post stuff there first before the website or YouTube: https://www.facebook.com/cedarworkshop?ref=hl
Music Credit: Bayou_State_of_Mind, by Jingle Punks
The good weather is finally here and most of the crisis projects were completed. Next on the list was the Epic Deck Project. It called that because it such a huge deck (24′ x 11′) and time consumer.
Since I work behind a computer for the day job. I really enjoy building something. I think it’s all the outdoor summer jobs that help out with times like this.
Anyway, once the work site was prepped with material, equipment set up and the plans consulted, the project start. After a few hours a structure started to take shape and it was really gratifying to see the deck take shape.
Also, I will add, I’m no expert, nor claim to be one. I’ve consulted with the building codes and have created a plan to follow. I wish I could hire someone to finish it off during the week, but the budget doesn’t allow a professional builder.
I’ll keep you posted with a few videos of the weekend builds.