Free xml sitemap generator

Heat and Cooling,Other

Update to the Wood Stove Reco Fan (Build #2)- Works Like a Dream!

9 Jan , 2014  

A short video of the wood stove fan made from recycled parts (Reco Fan). Over the holidays, we had it working for 10 days straight on the wood stove. Worked awesome and even managed to push some warm air. The aluminum heat sink on the bottom did a good job absorbing the wood stove heat and it kept running for quite a long time.

The fan blades were set up to suck the cooler air from the behind into the wood stove and push it through the Thermalright heatsink fins. There was a slight breeze, but, might tinker with the blade design.

Happy with the results so far.

Working on a few short videos of the multimeter hooked up.

, , , , , , ,

Power generation,Wind Turbine Projects

Build #3 of Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) from Cedar Wood Siding

14 Aug , 2013  

Build 3 thumb This is the third version of the vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) made from cedar siding lumber. It’s very close to the Lenz style of VAWTs. These type of wind turbines are fun to build. Lots of room for improvements and coming up with new ideas.
For example:
– the hubs with bearings, came from my portable generator. Had handy grease spout that could easily be greased with a grease gun
– The struts for the scoop (Lenz style) of blades were extended to clear the garage door style generator
– Used boiled linseed oil to seal the wood parts. The stain lasts forever and works great against the sun
– Did a quick test on top of our house, but, nothing really happened. (The motor garage door motor was not hooked up) The wind is quite poor in our residential area. Plus, without the aid of mirrors or a surveillance system, it’s difficult to see it spin when it’s right on top of your house.
– The VAWT was designed to be mounted on top of a tree a off-the-grid cabin
– At the moment, I’ve got the garage door motor on it, but, it doesn’t turn well with the belt-pulley system. The wind really needs to be blowing. I thinking about going the magnet and coil route.
– Had to take it down after 5 days. The neighbours started to ask questions and I didn’t want the bylaw officer give me a ticket.

Aces High and Cut and Run by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a CC Attribution 3.0.

, , , , , ,

Other,Wind Turbine Projects

Part 2 of the Homemade Dump Load for a Wind Turbine

24 Jun , 2013  

Screen shot 2013-06-24 at 10.29.58 AM

So, with fewer resistors, the layout had to be reconfigured and more copper wires were used to secure resistors in place.
It was suggested by some viewers to lower the ohms by connecting in parallel (positive to positive) to lower the ohms from 100 to 25 ohms.


Came up with three separate ideas for the bus bars. Originally, the clips would be soldered to a wire, but could not get the wires to slick. I was more concerned with the little contact and the chance for sparks. Decided bolt the resistors to an aluminium or copper bar. Could not find an affordable source, so, I located the pipe left over from the bathroom renovation. The bars were made from 1/2″ copper pipe pounded flat. The pipe was easily flattened with a sledge-hammer. Holes were drilled and the resistor clips were secured from underneath.

Ran some tests on a trolling style of deep cycle battery and slowly drained the battery. Note: More tests were preformed off camera with all safety measures in place.

The dump load will be used with the Morningstar TS-60 Charge Controller. It will be configured as a diversion load and will look after battery bank.

The battery bank will be charged by a 180 watts of solar energy and 500 watts wind power. The dump load will be used for in the summer time when the sun is higher in the sky.

Each ceramic resistors was 100 Ohm at 200 watts.

Thank you for your patience and enjoy!

, , , , ,

Power generation,Solar Power Projects

Generating Springtime Solar Power for the Cabin

10 Apr , 2013  

Generating Springtime Solar Power (2013)

The solar panels were collecting just a bit of electricity from the sun on the Easter Weekend. The sun is still low in the sky and in the tree line. I’m running a 12 volt system with four 6 volt deep cycle batteries. So, with my rig, the amount of sun and everything unplugged, the batteries would recharge from 80% at 10:00am to 100% by 4:00pm.

Compared to a lot of other slick systems out there, it might by wimpy, but, it will do for now.

The plan for this summer, is to move all the panels to the pole, put the offshore MPPT charge controller on the 2 poly panels and the shower door panel. The Morningstar Charge controller will be converted over to a diversion mode for the recycled wind turbine. Maybe, I’ll pick up two more 6 volt batteries…

Remember to check out the Blog


, , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: