Free xml sitemap generator

Buildings and Renovations

The Epic DIY Deck Project- Part 3B- More Joists & Minor Fix

14 Jul , 2014  

IMG_5581 Just got back from a weekend of working on the deck. Thought I would give a short update.
The plan for this weekend was to get a bit further with the 2″ x 8″ joists. (The joists is what the deck boards sit on)

The first step was to buy the (15) 2″ x 8″ x 12′ lumber and then transport the lumber to our remote cabin in the mountains. These are times I wish I had a pickup truck. But, I don’t. So, with all the seats down and ratchet binders handy, I managed to load the boards into the car and get most of the weight over the middle of the vehicle. Once the tailgate was secure, there wasn’t any noticeable drag and the car did well. The drive up the mountain passes went OK and the journey took about 4 hours.

Once we arrived to the remote cabin, my 9-year-old son lent a IMG_5578 hand unloading and help measure 130 inches from the end of the 2″ x 8″ boards. The leftover material will be used as blocking in-between the joists.

Next, the mitre saw, compressor, nails and generator had to be relocated. After a few trips getting supplies stored under the cabin, I noticed it was difficult to carry stuff when your posture is crouched over. Sooner or later, I would smash my head on a board. It took a few extra minutes, but once everything was in place, the generator was fired up and we started to cut boards and get an assembly line going. After slinging, measure and cut 10 boards, it was time to stop for lunch.
After carbs and coffee, I started to attach the 2″ x 8″ joists to the ledger board. Noticed that the end boards were not touching as closely as they should. The joists hangers would carry the load, but it was still a concern. After studying the ledger board, it looked like it need more support behind the board. That would vertically level out the board. I figured it would take me at least 40 minutes to get everything trimmed out with wedges and 1/2″ x 4″ lag screws. But, there was only a few hours of the day left and so much to do. So, I switched gears and worked on the 2″ x 10″ support beam, notched posts and dig the hole for the support post. The plan was to get the beam ready, secure the post a few inches overtop of the hole, pour the concrete and let it set overnight.

IMG_5580 The process was going well until a neighbour popped over to see what was going on. We started chatting about the deck designs, powers tools and end up sitting around a fire with a few beers. Didn’t get anymore work finished, but it was time to relax.
The next day, my son helped me mix the cement and we got the footing in place. While it set, I went back to the ledger board added a wedge and lagged it with 16 galvanized lag bolts. I pre-drilled the holes, but it still took some elbow grease to secure the lags. After the ledger board was secure, the joist board were re-attached and the gaps were gone.
I’m heading up the following weekend again with more materials and will hopefully get the joists all installed.

,


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: